Medicaid CHAMPS prescriber enrollment requirement effective Oct. 1, 2019
Effective Oct. 1, 2019, all providers who prescribe drugs to Michigan Medicaid beneficiaries must actively be enrolled in the Michigan Medicaid program. Enrollment in this program is completed through the Community Health Automated Medicaid Processing System (CHAMPS). This may delay or prevent Medicaid beneficiaries from obtaining their medications.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) will prohibit payment for prescription drug claims written by a prescriber who is not enrolled in CHAMPS for dates of service on and after Oct. 1, 2019.
The purpose of this requirement is to protect the Michigan Medicaid program and its beneficiaries by strengthening program integrity and care quality. It’s used solely to screen providers participating in Medicaid and does not require providers to accept fee-for-service Medicaid beneficiaries.
What action do providers need to take?
All providers who prescribe drugs to Michigan Medicaid beneficiaries who are not actively enrolled in CHAMPS should enroll in the program as soon as possible. If not, they risk losing reimbursement and their patients will not receive prescriptions.
CHAMPS log-in and registration instructions
- Go to https://milogintp.michigan.gov/
- Log in to MILogin if you already have an account.
- Click "Create a new account" if you need to set up a MILogin account. During the registration process, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services will send an initial password to you via email. Use this password to complete setting up your account.
- Select the CHAMPS application to open.
Other helpful state and CHAMPS resources
- 8/21/2018 provider press release
- 8/2/2018 provider bulletin
- MILogin and CHAMPS log in and registration guide
- CHAMPS training sessions
Questions? Contact MDHHS at ProviderSupport@Michigan.gov or call 800.292.2550.