BE AWARE: Medical equipment schemes
Durable medical equipment, or DME, is medical equipment prescribed by your doctor that is reusable. It includes hospital beds, walkers, wheelchairs, home oxygen equipment, scooters and prosthetics.
Be aware of marketing schemes from DME suppliers resulting in potential fraud, waste or abuse.
Some things to watch out for:
- Newspaper or TV ad offering free medical equipment
- Callers offering free medical equipment in exchange for your name, date of birth, insurance number and physician’s name
- Postcard in the mail saying you are eligible for free medical equipment in exchange for your name, date of birth, insurance number and physician’s name
- Offers claiming that you will have no out-of-pocket expense (ex. co-pay, deductible, etc.)
Take these steps to protect yourself:
- Be wary of any offers that promise “free” products or service.
- If you receive an unsolicited call to buy medical equipment, do not be afraid to end the call.
- Contact your physician for your DME needs. Your health care provider knows you and your medical history. Don’t let a sales person talk you into something you do not need.
- If you have questions, or if you suspect fraud or abuse, tell us.
Report Fraud, Waste & Abuse:
If you think you know of this kind of activity, you should report it. You will not have to give your name, address or phone number. Please contact us in the way that’s most convenient for you:
Contact Priority Health
- Call Customer Service at 616.464.8102 or 888.975.8102.
Monday – Thursday 7:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturday 8:30 a.m. – noon
- Write: Priority Health Fraud and Abuse Program
MS 3175, 1231 E. Beltline NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525
- Send email to SIU@priorityhealth.com
Call the Compliance Helpline
- Call 800.560.7013. This third-party organization is open 24 hours a day, and they’ll report your concern to us.
Contact the State of Michigan
- Call 855.MI.FRAUD (855.643.7283)
- Visit michigan.gov/fraud and click on Submit an online complaint.
- Write: Office of Inspector General
P.O. Box 30062
Lansing, MI 48909