How scoring works
We check the password you submit:
- For including both numbers and letters.
- For length. 8- or 10-character passwords are stronger than 6 character passwords.
- For mixed capital and lower-case letters.
- For special characters, like *, %, and !.
- Against a pattern identifier: number sequences (3691215), dates (09191953) or keyboard sequences (asdfghjkl) make passwords easier to crack.
- Against a dictionary of common terms/words used in passwords.
Each one of these tests has a point value; the total number of points creates your password's "score" on the strength meter.